dalal ak diam, bienvenue, welcome!

Dalal ak diam, Bienvenue, Welcome! Follow along with my journey to Senegal this fall in stories, quotes, and pictures.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Weekend of Firsts

So where to start, it’s been a really busy weekend so no time for the wifi until today. I have to say, internet access has been a challenge, not so much in that I can’t live without the internet, but that everyone else is operating at the speed and in the manner of readily available and reliable wifi. Also, I have been trying for 3 hours today to upload pictures here, but the blog keeps shutting down when I try, so next post is going to be all pics. Again, I apologize for keeping you all in suspense and for writing so much, but here we go with the weekend:

On Saturday, I went back to Gorée Island with Mary (also in the MSID program) Sara, her Italian sister living with the family, and her Senegalese host brother Danny. The first time on Goree, we went together as the MSID group, and saw the Maison des Esclaves (slavery museum) and the Musee de la femme (women’s museum) pictures to follow next post. This Saturday, we just walked around the historical paths and swam in the ocean (yes!). If you ever have the chance to visit Goree, definitely go to the Maison des Esclaves.  It’s very powerful, especially the “door of no return” which leads out directly to the ocean where ships would dock. I hate to take up a cliché, but the only way I could describe the experience is that the Maison des Esclaves made the history I learned about the slave trade come alive. Afterwards, we walked around downtown, but bypassed the marché because it was very sunny, and the toubabs (fair skinned people) in the group were already burned despite high SPF sunscreen. I had my first marché (market) experience earlier in the week, at Sandagar in downtown. It was a mélée of a place, and it was tough to shop when the various vendors are constantly competing for the attention of customers but definitely a cultural experience. Now that I understand the bargaining process better, I’ll be able to buy something next time. I also had my first club/dancing experience, (lots of English music?! what?) which was cool since everyone in the group ignored the fact that I can’t dance.
To continue on the firsts this week, I also had my first experience getting lost in the HLM (habitations à loyer modéré, low-income housing) with Grace (another MSID’er) as we were making our way across town to find a protestant church on Sunday morning. It was quite a scene, and goes to show that Dakar is most definitely a city of contrasts and that people (in Senegal) are remarkably resilient despite incredibly difficult circumstances. In one part of the city, people have amenities like wifi and for the most part, reliable electricity, and in another, there is what I would describe as an open sewer in the middle of the street.  Thankfully, with the help of the taxi driver (he didn’t really speak French), his Catholic francophone friend we consulted for directions, and some folks from the church who had a car, Grace and I made it to the protestant church exactly on time at 10am, although it didn’t start actually until 10:15 and finished at 12:30. The service was great (especially the bilingual message in Wolof and French, how cool!) and the people all friendly toward us. Most were Senegalese, although we met two guys from the Central African Republic, and we heard there are often other ex-pats from various countries in Africa that come. Afterwards, we ate lunch at a restaurant with the pastor (I almost cried when my salad came out, because fresh veges and fruits [some of my favorite foods] are usually expensive and not easily available in Dakar) and then we got a tour of the west part of Dakar (Ngor, a former fishing village and now a beach and also the Yoff neighborhood).

No comments:

Post a Comment