dalal ak diam, bienvenue, welcome!

Dalal ak diam, Bienvenue, Welcome! Follow along with my journey to Senegal this fall in stories, quotes, and pictures.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pictures really do say a thousand words!

Although pictures say a thousand words, a thousand words upload much, much faster than one picture! (one minute vs forty mintues!) So I've got some catching up to do, but I don't want to hold up the lunch program at home or be late for class, so captions and pictures to follow later.


Me and my host Maman. She is a very nice lady, and has made my stay here so comfortable by teaching me some Wolof phrases and asking about my day.
The view of Mermoz Premiere Porte from the balcony. Past the parked cars (center of the picture) is Cheikh Anta Diop, one of the main drags in the area that eventually goes by the University in Dakar. You can see the cinder block on our neighbor's house, because they are in the middle of a remodel phase, like many of the buildings in the city.
 
The balcony, one of my favorite places to quick catch an evening breeze and a glimpse of the neighborhood activities. Lately, I've been stopping to play with the troupe of neighborhood little kids here on my way home from school, but keep forgetting to bring my camera!


The sidewalk in front of the house
 
My host sister Khady (left) and two of her friends during Korite, wearing Senegalese boubous. I would like to know the secret of how everyone looks so gorgeous around here all the time!
The trip to Goree Island, on the Chaloupe (ferry). This was the ferry that a few of us almost missed, so they basically hauled us on board as it was leaving (no gangplank!).
The beach on Goree Island, it was picturesque other than quite a bit of floating trash.

The door of no return at the Maison des Escalves, a very powerful image, especially in person!
 
A baobab tree on Goree. Baobabs are important to West African culture, as they were often a meeting spot for negotiations, etc. The trees can live to be 1000 years old!

Walking through Goree Island

Walking along the shore. I found out some people swin the distance from Goree (where we are standing) to Dakar (the downtown is what you see in the distance). We went swimming at the beach, but definitely not all the way across the harbor.
 
The Chaloupe again, but I had to add this picture, because the name of the boat is "Beer" Waly the program coordinator probably thought I had sunstroke because I kept laughing at the name.
WARC, my new school in Dakar.
The courtyard of WARC where we hang out to eat, chat, and do homework (so usually there's a lot more people milling around)

1 comment:

  1. (it deleted my first comment, so i hope this isn't a duplicate)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures! and even though some think a picture may be the same or better than a thousand words, i'm sure they don't even begin to cover half the story.

    i miss you!

    ReplyDelete