dalal ak diam, bienvenue, welcome!

Dalal ak diam, Bienvenue, Welcome! Follow along with my journey to Senegal this fall in stories, quotes, and pictures.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Less than 24 hours to go...

Sorry that this blog post is so overdue! I have had a very busy month of August finishing up work, moving out of my apartment, finishing a Fulbright ETA application, packing, and most importantly seeing friends and family. In the days and weeks to come, I promise the blog will keep better pace with my adventures in Senegal.

It's still sinking in that I will be on an airplane over the Atlantic (my first crossing!) less than 24 hours from now. With all of the preparations leading up to my departure, it is hard to come up with an exact description of how things are right now. Exciting? most definitely! nervewracking? a little. Chaotic? possibly...

Many of you know that I like to find out the stories behind the facts, which is how I remember them and usually share the facts too. Chaos is an interesting word so I looked it up, and discovered that "chaos" actually comes from the Greek for something vast and empty, a void.

This definitely contradicts what I have been up to, because the last few weeks have been full of wonderful bon voyage get-togethers, conversations, hugs, and well-wishes from family and friends that I have enjoyed so much. Full of anticipation as I found out my host family, starting going shopping with my mom, and the trip started to become more real. And let's face it, as much as I rearrange items, my suitcase is just plain full. These weeks have also been full with little time to rest or contemplate that I will be leaving the country for a few months (hence, the infrequent blogging).

But interesetingly enough, the word "chaos" came to its modern meaning of "confusion" in the 1600's through theological use, when it was used to describe the void at the beginning of creation. So everything might feel chaotic right now, but I'm going to go with the second meaning of chaotic and trust that God's going to work everything out (including possible Hurricane Irene related flight delays, baggage/packing woes, and the inevitable feelings of mixed excitement and anxiety that go along with traveling away from home for a while.)

I'm signing off for now, but I'd like to thank you all for your love, encouragement, and support and look forward to future pictures and posts!

1 comment:

  1. !!!

    this is great. although--i am sad we didnt get to get together before you left.

    alas. there will be more moments :]

    ReplyDelete